Sign Up  |  Login

Summer Study Abroad: Update on Recent Diplomatic Events

SRAS Announces Special Moscow-St.Petersburg Summer RSL Program for 2018

Summer Study Abroad: Important Updates

The State of Study Abroad in Russia

Russian Studies Abroad (RSA) Splits Into Two Programs

Join SRAS at NAFSA and Forum

SRAS and SPBGIKIT Language Partnership: The Year in Review

SRAS Site Visit to Irkutsk

Summer Programs Abroad - 2018

Travel Alert for Russian Cities: May 25 - July 25, 2018

Scholarships Available!

Stetson University and SRAS Announce New Partnership

Call for Papers: Vestnik!

Find Us on Facebook

Custom Programs and Research Travel
Flexible Help for Individual Needs

More Travel Info!

Train Travel in Russia

Russian Airports
International Air Travel
Airport Transfers
CIS Travel Agents

In addition to an extensive study abroad program list, SRAS offers custom programs and research travel services. If you are looking to research abroad or would like to study any subject in any institution of higher education in Russia, Ukraine, or Kyrgyzstan, contact SRAS.

SRAS Research Travel Services seek to lower the barriers of performing archive research abroad by placing SRAS's many years of experience in travel, research, and education at your disposal – whether you are a student, professor, or other professional.

Visas     Learn more
Your first and most important step in going abroad is to obtain an appropriate visa. This process entails first getting an invitation, then applying for the visa, and then registering the visa after your arrival in Russia. What type of visa you should get will depend on the specific purpose of your trip and the length of time you will need to be abroad. There are three main types of visas to consider: "Scientific-Technical" Visas, Student Visas (both available for Visiting Scholars, below), and Business Visas (for general travel). Learn more.

Archival and Research Support 
SRAS can assist you in navigating Russian archives, either with a short tour and introduction or with extended support that can include translation or even short-term, informal language tutoring. Just let us know what your needs are. These services are billed hourly and cost varies by location, but will generally range from $20-35 per hour. Advisor fees generally start at $50 per hour. Note that actual archival research will require you to arrive on a specific type of visa. See the Visiting Scholar Package below for more information.

Visiting Scholar Package   Apply Now
To research in Russian archives, you must have affiliation with a Russian university or other appropriate organization and you must arrive on a visa designated for educational, technical, or scientific purposes. The SRAS Visiting Scholar Package can be indispensable to those hoping to obtain such a visa. There are two options:

1. Scientific-Technical Exchange Visa   Contact SRAS
This is a 1-year multi-entry visa. It requires at least 16 business days to process the invitation and 10-15 business days processing at consulate. Note that shipping times will add to this. Note as well that, as a 1-year visa, the 90/180 rule will apply (you may be in Russia for only 90 out of any 180-day period).

- Cost: $668

Or 2. Student Visa   Contact SRAS
Student visas are supported by a Russian university on the basis of a tuition-paid academic program. These visas are issued initially for three months, but can be extended in-country for up to a year at a time for an indefinite number of times. Improve your Russian and/or study politics, history, literature, or almost any other subject that will assist your research!

- Cost for up to 5 months:  $1 575*
- Cost for up to 10 months: $2 150*

Details on Student Visas

"Tuition-paid" means enrolling for a minimum (usually 10-12 hours per week) amount of classes. For those wishing to improve their Russian or make academic contacts while in Russia, the cost of tuition (varies by location) can easily even out if you consider your savings on housing (university dorms are very cheap and open only to those enrolled at the university). However, for those who will not value the classes, this is not an option. If you do not attended your courses, the university is legally obligated to expel you, which means your visa will be cancelled and you will be evicted from the dormitory.

Student visas can also somewhat restrict your travel. While most universities will allow you 1-2 weeks to travel, and allow you to make short weekend trips (if they are informed in advance) you will be expected to remain in your university city and regularly attend classes.

- Costs include:
visa, registration, insurance, general in-country support, local orientation, access to SRAS cultural events, and assistance in enrolling for courses.
- Costs do not include:
tuition, housing, tickets, airfare, advisor or other support fees (see below). Contact SRAS for more information.

3-Year Tourist Visas   Contact SRAS
For those looking to travel to Russia for non-research purposes can get a 3-year multiple-entry general-purpose tourist visa. For this visa, your passport must be valid for 3.5 years beyond the requested entry date. Note that this visa does not allow you to research in archives in Russia - it will allow to you travel and visit informally with friends and collegues.

- Cost: $448 

Custom Programs   Contact SRAS
Those who don't find what they are looking for on our study abroad programs page can contact us about arranging study in nearly any subject in nearly any location within Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Georgia, or Kyrgyzstan. SRAS can also help you to purchase tickets for domestic rail and air travel.

Accommodations     Learn more and order services
Those looking to travel to Russia on a budget will find that creativity and early planning can get you far in the world's largest country. Make sure that your housing solution is within your budget and can include visa registration. Your options include hotels, hostels, short-term apartments, homestays, and more.

Traveling with Family  Contact SRAS
Children must arrive on the same visa type as the parent they are accompanying. Separate visas are needed for each individual traveling (i.e., the researcher, if traveling with one minor child, would need to purchase two visas as outlined above). Children must also have their own international passport to travel. If the researcher is traveling with a spouse or partner, the spouse or partner may travel on a tourist visa as outlined above (and any children, then, may travel on tourist  visas with the spouse). It is best to consult with us in advance about your exact plans.

What do Travelers Say?  Contact SRAS

"I just wanted to write and let you know I had a great trip to Seoul and Vladivostok. Dr. Troyakova and some grad students at FEFU were great and I had a very successful trip to jump-start my dissertation research. I was able to make a trip up to Ussurisk as well and visit a Russian-Korean cultural center and museum. I am planning another trip in May/June and with your help from this trip should be able to work things out. Thanks again! This trip would not have been successful - and probably not have even happened - if it weren't for your assistance."

- Z. Adamz

"Josh was a font of information in Moscow. Of particular interest to us was his synopsis of Russian current politics. We could easily have spent more time to better inform ourselves and learn more from him. Thank you for including him in our introduction."

- L. Rajesh

Study Abroad
in Russia

Moscow State University is  Russia's largest.

SRAS Travel
SRAS Travel Services -  Russia Your Way

The Library:
All About Russia
Click for more  information about Religion in Russia

Find Out More!

History of Russian Holidays
Internships in Russia
Health and Safety in Russia
The SRAS Newsletter
The SRAS Library on Russia
Journal for Students
More Free Resources! 


Questions or comments?
Contact the editor.

2015-03-20 - Housing in Russia for Researchers

2015-03-20 - Russian Visa Support for Researchers

2015-01-13 - Travel Service Providers in the CIS

2010-11-10 - Short Term Language Courses