Sign Up  |  Login

SRAS Announces Special Moscow-St.Petersburg Summer RSL Program for 2018

Summer Study Abroad: Important Updates

The State of Study Abroad in Russia

Russian Studies Abroad (RSA) Splits Into Two Programs

Join SRAS at NAFSA and Forum

SRAS and SPBGIKIT Language Partnership: The Year in Review

SRAS Site Visit to Irkutsk

Summer Programs Abroad - 2018

Travel Alert for Russian Cities: May 25 - July 25, 2018

Scholarships Available!

Stetson University and SRAS Announce New Partnership

Call for Papers: Vestnik!

Find Us on Facebook

I have obtained a pet while in Russia, how do I take it home?
Cats and dogs are inspected by US customs upon arrival. Any animal that is deemed not to "appear healthy" may be quarantined for 30 days. Note that each state may have its own restrictions as well and that, while cats and dogs are generally allowed, not all animals can be imported and kept in every state. Each airline often has its own regulations regarding how the pet's health must be documented and under what conditions it can be transported. In addition, dogs arriving to the U.S. must have proof of receiving a rabies vaccination within 30 days, but no sooner than three days, prior to import. Getting an international pet passport from a vet in Russia before traveling is advisable. More information may be found in a brochure available from the US customs website.

How may I travel to Russia with a pet? 
Russia requires imported pets to have an international pet passport. Such passports can be obtained at veterinary clinics and basically say that your pet has a clean bill of health. Upon entering Russia, you will need to register your pet with customs officials and pay a small registration fee. You should be aware that Russian dormitories do not allow pets in any form, so it is likely that you will have to find other living arrangements with your pet.

May I keep a pet in the dorms?
No. All university dormitories prohibit pets. If you wish to keep a pet in Russia, you will have to find a private apartment that allows them

For more helpful information, please see

« back to Student Guide to Russia archive