Sign Up  |  Login

Call for Papers: Vestnik!

Nashe Radio Top Five, March, 2015

Scholarships Available!

Russia's Top Five Movies, February, 2015

Poland in the News, February, 2015


Polish Public Radio Top 5, February, 2015

All About Russia Visas

Find Us on Facebook

Dual Citizens, Adoptees, and Heritage Speakers
- Visa and Safety Issues -

There has been a recent surge in interest for study abroad from heritage speakers who emigrated from Russia during the 1990s and particularly from those adopted from Russia by Americans during this time period. Very often, these individuals are not aware that most are still considered Russian citizens by Russia. This actually complicates study abroad to Russia.

If you are an adoptee, dual citizen, or are unsure if you may be a dual citizen, we strongly recommend contacting the Russian Embassy in Washington DC or the Russian Consulate in your region to discuss your situation. Professors of Russian, Study Abroad Advisors, and others working with students with this situation – please bring this to their attention early in their college career. Their background is such that they may already be considering a major in Russian and as such, study abroad in Russia. They need to take steps to prepare for that now.

A few important questions for these students to ask:

Could I still be a Russian Citizen? 
Anyone who emigrated from Russia to the USA, even if by adoption, in 1992 or later, is still a Russian citizen unless specific steps have been taken to renounce the individual's citizenship. Children adopted from Russia remain Russian citizens until they are 18 years of age, at which point they can choose to renounce citizenship. If no steps are taken to renounce citizenship, Russian citizenship is retained by default.

Isn't it illegal to hold dual citizenship?
Russian law does NOT forbid carrying US citizenship as well as Russian. However, Russian law does not officially recognize dual citizenship, either. Russia requires their citizens, including those holding dual citizenship, to enter Russia on the basis of a Russian passport. Russian citizens may not receive a student (or any other) visa. It is illegal for a Russian citizen to enter Russia on a visa.

I've traveled to Russia before on a visa. Surely I can do so again?
Those who have traveled to Russia before on visas should be aware that this was likely due to bureaucratic oversight. Russian citizenship and migration records are now largely computerized and the consulates have tightened their review process. Anyone who was born in Russia will need to provide proof that they are not Russian citizens. Those with birthplaces within any of the countries of the former Soviet Union will also face scrutiny and will likely need additional documentation. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TRAVELED TO RUSSIA BEFORE ON A VISA YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO SO NOW.

Option 1: Can I study abroad on my Russian passport?
Yes, you can study abroad in Russia with your Russian passport, if it is current and valid. You may enrol for any SRAS program or service (except visa assitance and assistance in enroling for degree programs). Note that renewing a Russian passport usually takes 2-4 months. Those choosing to follow this option should be aware that, if you enter Russia on the basis of your Russian passport, you are fully subject to Russian law. The US and Russia will consider you a Russian citizen while you are abroad in Russia. Students who find themselves in trouble with the authorities for whatever reason cannot expect the American Embassy to assist them. This can be of special importance to males between the ages of 18-27, which is the draft age for males in Russia.

Can I enroll in a degree program on the basis of my Russian passport?
Yes. However, you will be expected to complete the same rigorous screening and application process (usually involves an interview and written tests) that other Russian students must complete. SRAS is not authorized to work with students applying for degree programs as Russian citizens.

Why else should I keep my Russian passport?
The positive in keeping Russian citizenship is that you would have the ability to travel to Russia (and many other places in the world) without a visa, including many that would require you to get a visa as a US citizen. You would also be able to work in both Russia and the US without a work permit or special visa. As the global economy evolves, this may be something to consider, especially considering how many Russian companies are expanding to America, how many American companies are expanding to Russia, and how difficult and time consuming obtaining the proper work and visa documentation in either country can be.

Option 2: What if I renounce my Russian citizenship?
The process of renouncing Russian citizenship can take between 6-12 months. To renounce Russian citizenship, one must have a valid (not expired) Russian passport. Renewing a Russian passport usually takes an additional 2-4 months. If someone in this dual-citizen situation is planning to study abroad in Russia at any point, or simply travel to Russia, this issue should be addressed as soon as possible. Starting this process when applying for most study abroad programs is already too late.

The position of the Russian Embassy, as we perceive it, is that they would prefer that you NOT renounce your citizenship. We suggest keeping this in mind and doing things in stages as they are likely to be more helpful on the stage of renewing your passport than on the latter stage of renouncing citizenship.

P.S. What is a "heritage speaker?"
A heritage speaker is someone who has grown up speaking a second language in an informal environment. Very often this refers to the children of immigrants who speak, for example, English on the street and Russian at home. Heritage speakers often have the ability to speak fluently on a conversational level but lack specialized vocabulary, formal training in grammar, and are often weak in reading skills in Russian.


Study Abroad
in Russia

Moscow State University is  Russia's largest.

SRAS Travel
SRAS Travel Services -  Russia Your Way

The Library:
All About Russia
Click for more  information about Religion in Russia

Find Out More!

History of Russian Holidays
Internships in Russia
Health and Safety in Russia
The SRAS Newsletter
The SRAS Library on Russia
Journal for Students
More Free Resources! 


Questions or comments?
Contact the editor.


Those chosing

« back to Student Guide to Russia archive